April 29, 2016

Weekend Inspiration - Hexie Pouch and Pincushion

 
Hi! Are you ready for more inspiration?

This week I thought we would stick with a hexie theme, but this time go tiny!!

My daughter has been using a sad excuse of a zipper pouch for her double point knitting needles and crochet hooks. It was time to make her something cute. She has loved hexie flowers since the first time she saw them, so I knew I wanted to include one on her pouch. She's a big linen fan so that was a must as well.

I measured the dimensions of her old bag because she said it was the perfect size. Mini hexies were the perfect size, so the first thing I did was punch some templates out of card stock using my Fiskars medium size punch. You can find one at Joann Fabrics and use a coupon. I think I had a 60% off so it was really affordable. Sometimes they are already on sale too!

Stitching hexies is an enjoyable way to spend a half an hour and is about the amount of time it took to make my hexie flower. You can find a great mini hexie tutorial here.


The only zipper I had on hand that would fit was metal. I really love the way it looks and will buy more to have on hand when the urge to make a pouch hits.  My only advice is to make sure that the zipper is the exactly size you need. This was a 7" zipper and was just a tad too small, but I made it work. You want to make sure the fabric zipper ends are what you are sewing over, not the metal teeth. Your sewing machine will thank you.


Those hexies were so dang cute that I decided to make something for me. I kept seeing the Deluxe Pincushion on Instagram and knew that's what I wanted to make. It's from the book Sew Organized For The Busy Girl by Heidi from Fabric Mutt.  I always seem to modify patterns and switched the pocket to include a hexie. I also added binding to the top of the pocket.

I improved at stitching the hexies onto my project :)

Hope you try one or both of these projects. Let me know if you do and if you have any questions!! You can find a great selection of fabric here.

The winner of the Diamond Walk pouch kit is Linda who said  "So pretty, this reminds me of mermaid scales! πŸ’™πŸ’šπŸ’œI'm working on binding a quilt, and I have the perfect zipper for this bag!!!!" I'll send you an email to get your mailing address. Thanks to everyone who let me know what they are working on. It's so fun and inspiring to find out what everyone is sewing!!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the pouch and the pincushion! So very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both adorable! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I'll be trying my hand at hexies. I noticed your linen is light colored. When I make a new bag, purse or fabric basket, my last step is to hang it from the clothesline on a sunny day and spray it well with Scotchguard or another fabric protector. That way most liquids roll off and stains can be spot cleaned more easily. Your things are so cute and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute hexies!!! I'm the winner!!! Yea!πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love decorating with hexies and these projects are perfect! I really like the look of the metal zipper and the little charm on the zipper pull too.
    I don't know how I missed your other posts but I'm getting all caught up! Gotta check out all the links and tutorials :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is sweet. I also really love the pincushion with the appliquΓ©d scissors on the first photo in the post. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet , sweet hexies!! I love your fabric combinations! I also love that appliqued scissors pincushion!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete

I am so happy you are here, and I love reading your comments!! I will answer any questions you may have right here, and I love to visit your blogs as often as I can!!